The Approved Specialist Agriculture program features cattle, pigs, sheep, horticulture, aquaculture and poultry. Students gain valuable experience for a broad range of careers including Veterinary Science, Agribusiness, Horticulture and Landscape Design. From Year 10 students are able to complete certificates and incorporate agricultural studies into university and career pathways.
Students are given opportunities to gain practical experience through opportunities such as, Rabobank, Wagin Woolorama, Perth Royal Show and Parader’s Day.
Are you interested in a future in Agriculture?
- Investigate plant, animal and market systems
- Devise and implement their own systems
- Observe and evaluate their ideas
- Gain relevant knowledge of budgeting and marketing processes
- Understand the impact of both market and social forces on commercial enterprises
- Develop understanding about sustainability issues
- Climate change, water quality, incubation
- Insemination practices, animal ethics principles
- Auction systems, breed characteristics and responsible selection
- Animal husbandry skills
- Vegetable growing
- Lamb, Calf and Chicken rearing
- Chicken incubation practices
- Operating rural machinery
- Fencing- Led Steer competitions
- Guiding primary school student visits
- Field excursions
Kiara College offers a Specialised Basketball course for those students who show a keen interest in the sport. This course offers students the chance to develop their skills as players, referees and coaches thereby enabling them to become lifelong participants in the basketball industry.
The course provides students with the opportunity to graduate from Kiara College with a Certificate II in Sport Coaching from State Training Providers Students develop life and learning skills such as leadership, teamwork, fair play, competitiveness and responsibility in the context of a team sport. Implementation Students will develop both individual and team skills and strategies through 4 hours of specialised basketball instruction per week.
In Years 11 and 12 students will also be given the opportunity to attain their Level 1 Referee Certificate and complete a First Aid qualification.
Students in our Specialist Basketball program have the opportunity to play for the College Team and compete in a variety of school-based competition.
Do you enjoy being active?
- Advanced skills
- Sports psychology
- Coaching skills